Friday, January 11, 2008

And they're off!

So. The primaries have begun.

Okay, I know I'm a little late on this blog entry, but now that Iowa and New Hampshire are out of the way, I actually have something to write about!

Here are my thoughts thus far.

I'm extremely excited that Obama won Iowa. Okay...so I know I said back a few blog entries ago that I didn't necessarily buy what he's selling.

I've changed my tune on that one a bit. If it came down to it, I would prefer that he had the outright honesty of Joe Biden or Chris Dodd (ironically, the two guys who have officially dropped out of the race). Apparently Roseanne Barr really doesn't care for "Barak Obama" - please, just go here and check this out (she later apologized and said that she likes both Oprah and Obama, and that he'll absolutely get her vote in the general election if he wins the primary) - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01/10/roseanne-barrs-wild-tira_n_81015.html

Anyway, Roseanne's wackiness aside, I think that all of this is extremely exciting, and like I said, I've changed my tune a bit on Obama. I actually believe that he wants to change things, and I don't buy that he is too inexperienced to be the President of the United States. He's young, he's fresh...I just think that he's pretty much exactly what we need at this point in our history, when our standing in the world is so damaged and so many of our policies are so skewed toward bullshit republican interests.

What gets me about the election this year is that people actually care. I have to say, I wasn't thrilled when I heard that Hillary had won New Hampshire. As I said before, I will absolutely vote for her in the general election if she wins the primary. But I stand by my claim that she is too middle of the road and too much of the status quo (and no, I'm sorry, her being a woman doesn't automatically put her outside of the status quo) for what we really need. Since 1988, we've had a president with the last name of either Clinton or Bush (and before that George Sr. was VP for 8 years). As my friend Erika said, "That's a monarchy." Yes, yes it is. And I'd prefer that to stop.

Regardless of that, I think despite Obama's loss in New Hampshire, it's all terribly exciting. Reports indicate that people got pissed about the media's treatment of Hillary when she got choked up in New Hampshire, and that's one of the reasons she won. I LOVE that. People are paying attention. And it's about fucking time. We need something different. We need to recover and get out from under this hideous administration we've been living under for way too long now. They've embarrassed us as a country and a people for long enough, and hopefully, the time has come to start a process of reversing all of that. And I'm excited that people are riled up for that reversal process to begin. I'm thrilled that people finally seem to care.

Oh and one more thing. I was reading a blog that said something to the effect of, "George Bush and Dick Cheney should have been impeached long ago, but there is still time for that." Wouldn't that just be the icing on the cake?!? Do I think it's gonna happen? No. But one can hope, right?

No comments: